SubjectFile system
Any news whether or not the final 2.4 kernel will have a journaling file
system (ReisserFS, XFS, or JFS)?

Judging from the IBM site it appears that the JFS port is not anywhere
near ready for prime time. The XFS port appears to be farther along and
SGI has a 2.4.0-test5 source tree for download, why has this not been
merged with the main kernel, as I recall when I build the 2.4.0-test5
kernel, downloaded from kernel.org I did not have the option of choosing
XFS as the file system. I know that SUSE 6.4 ships with the option of
having ReisserFS partitions, but that was not part of the available file
systems for the 2.4.0-test5 either.

I read in the September issue of Linux Journal that there is a potential
development of an ext3 FS, which would be a journaling file system. This
seems kind of odd to me, as JFS and XFS are both proven file systems,
the code for both is I think GPLed, wouldn't the resources for ext3 not
be better used getting JFS and XFS ported as quickly as possible?

I'm just curious.

Thanks,
Robert

rjschwei@mindspring.com LINUX