SubjectRe: Lockups in X-Windows login screen
Hello!

Val Henson <vhenson@esscom.com> writes:

> Sounds hardware related. Try removing cards or switching motherboards.

As I already mentioned, the problem persits over all of the described
hardware changes (that's what I meant to say with the "upgraded" and
"installed later" in the hardware descriptions). Even in face of the
obvious similarities mine and my friends' machine do not have anything
"significant" in common; meaning that the PCB revisions/manufacturers
of all otherwise identical components differ in every case
(Motherboard, RAM, Power Supply, Plextor CD-ROM) as they were bought
at least 6 months apart.

The described problem is the *only* instability we experience, besides
during X startup the machines run rock-solid as long as they're turned
on under Linux and more stable than can usually be expected under
Windows 98 and Windows 2000. If it should really be hardware then I
think it is a quirk that only gets tickled in the situation described
(meaning it would be a bug present in all configurations similar
enough) and should be avoidable.

So long,
Joe

--
"I use emacs, which might be thought of as a thermonuclear word processor."
-- Neal Stephenson, "In the beginning... was the command line"