SubjectRe: SCO: "thread creation is about a thousand times faster than on
Date
Victor Yodaiken writes:
> On Sun, Aug 27, 2000 at 08:27:59PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
>> On Sun, 27 Aug 2000 yodaiken@fsmlabs.com wrote:

>>> The beauty of POSIX 1003.13 for the RTLinux side is that
>>> we get to define POSIX_SINGLE_PROCESS and forbid forbid
>>> fork and exec: making threads semantics much cleaner.
>>
>> Well, what you think of as a "beauty" I just consider a silly
>> cop-out by the standard. Basically, a lot of things can call
>> themselves "compliant to the letter of the law" wrt POSIX,
>> while still leaving the _user_ out in the cold.
>
> It's silly to expect to "fork" or to "exec" via a file system
> in a minimal realtime environment. These are complex activities
> however you cut it.

The "exec" is very easy. You don't need a real filesystem.
Your executable names can be a compiled-in table that maps
from string to function pointer.

The "fork" is easy with your choice of position-independent
code, real swapping, x86-style segments, or a real MMU.
You'd use whatever works fastest on the available hardware.
Don't have a COW.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:3.353 / U:0.764 seconds]