    SubjectRe: How does the kernel map physical to virtual addresses?

    it is interesting to observe that many questions that deal with _details_
    are answered quickly but questions related to fundamental concepts related
    to how Linux is designed, baffle all of us (since 0 people answered). So,
    is there really nobody in the whole world who can answer this? I would
    like to know the answer (about global kernel memory layout - i.e. what
    goes into PSE pages and what goes into normal ones, and how does PAE mode
    change the picture?) myself...

    I suppose one could find the answer by looking at each element of
    mem_map[] but it is always more comfortable to look for answers when one
    already knows the correct answer beforehand.