SubjectRe: Cleaning up drivers/net (was Re: Move of input drivers...)

On Wed, 23 Aug 2000, Paul Gortmaker wrote:

> > I'm eager to add new directories if they help make for finer-granularity
> > hierarchy.
>
> Might be able to help the drivers/net case a bit:
>
> /mnt/2400-t7-p7/linux/drivers/net> grep -l 8390 *.[ch]|wc -l
> 30

Good point.

The tulip driver already did this exact cleanup for similar reasons, and
the 8390-based designs certainly have a lot more reason to do the same: it
would probably be a rather nice idea to just separate out the 8390-based
stuff into it's own subdirectory.

> Some of those may not actually use the 8390.c core - but say at least 25
> could be put into drivers/net/8390/ - comments?
>
> Note that a Config.in for such a dir wouldn't be good as entries make
> more sense where they are (e.g. entry for 3c503 belongs with 3Com cards,
> vs. asking user if they want to pick from list of 8390 based cards when
> nobody outside this list has a clue what an 8390 is & what cards use it).

I don't want to have the config entries spread around the system: I would
definitely prefer to have Config.in follow the drivers into the
subdirectory. I don't think the current drivers/net/Config.in is all that
wonderful, I don't see why we couldn't just re-organize a bit.

You don't have to make it a sub-menu, and it shouldn't have a question
like "Do you want support for 8390-based cards". The main drivers/net
Config.in file can just directly source the 8390/Config.in file - it
implies re-ordering the entries, nothing more.

The current network driver ordering isn't all that logical anyway: it
does make sense, but not THAT much sense - it's ordered partly
alphabetically, but more according to other criteria (3com vs SMC vs ISA
vs pocket adapters), so..

But this is probably something that is not worth doing unless the people
really maintaining the drivers (you and who else) _really_ think it would
help. Let's not make changes just for changes sake.

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:1.192 / U:0.012 seconds]