SubjectRe: SCO: "thread creation is about a thousand times faster than on native Linux"
Date
In article <20000823193814.A24509@gruyere.muc.suse.de>,
Andi Kleen <ak@suse.de> wrote:
>To solve that it would be very nice to have Mach like continuations in
>Linux (multiple kernel threads sharing a kernel stack)

Oh, Gods, no.

Continuations are evil. And they don't scale in SMP. Don't even think
about them.

Mach had a lot of bad ideas. In fact, I can't think of a single _good_
idea from Mach. This one certainly was not.

(As far as I can tell, the only reason for continuations in Mach was
that Mach performance sucks without them, and it was a way of handling
the process switches from a client process into a server process without
the overhead. Of course, the right solution to that particular problem
is to not use a microkernel at all, but that was ea bit too non-radical
for the Mach guys).

Linus