    SubjectRe: SCO: "thread creation is about a thousand times faster than on native Linux"
    In article <>,
    Andi Kleen <> wrote:
    >To solve that it would be very nice to have Mach like continuations in
    >Linux (multiple kernel threads sharing a kernel stack)

    Oh, Gods, no.

    Continuations are evil. And they don't scale in SMP. Don't even think
    about them.

    Mach had a lot of bad ideas. In fact, I can't think of a single _good_
    idea from Mach. This one certainly was not.

    (As far as I can tell, the only reason for continuations in Mach was
    that Mach performance sucks without them, and it was a way of handling
    the process switches from a client process into a server process without
    the overhead. Of course, the right solution to that particular problem
    is to not use a microkernel at all, but that was ea bit too non-radical
    for the Mach guys).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:38    [W:0.022 / U:6.932 seconds]