    SubjectRe: 2.4.0-test6 memory leak?
    Tigran Aivazian wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Forever shall I be. wrote:
    >
    > > Tigran Aivazian wrote:
    > >
    > > > where do you see a leak there? I don't see absolutely anything wrong there
    > > > at all. Everything works as expected, find / should indeed use a lot of
    > > > buffers as it brings a lot of metadata in. Which bit seems suspicious to
    > > > you?

    > > Notice the increase in used ram. This ram is not being free'd as needed
    > > to make room for other programs (for instance, if I wanted to run a 190mb
    > > program, I would not be able to), and it's not being taken by some other
    > > process which is eating ram... I'd say that's pretty suspicious ;)
    >
    > Not at all. You need to learn how Linux (and generally UNIX) works.
    You're a few years too late for that line to work ;)

    > Memory is there to be used - why should give it back if it may be needed
    > again soon.
    I fail to see how holding my entire directory structure in memory (well,
    not the entire thing -- the second find went just as slow) for 15 days is
    useful... especially when I'm attempting to run programs and watching them
    get killed because there's no more memory left..

    > Memory used by various caches created by subsystems is not usually
    > "given back" unless memory pressure demands so.
    Right. But pressure did demand so, and give back it did not. The memory
    is lost until a reboot... processes are never given a chance to use it.
    Somehow, I don't think this is the way it should be.

    --
    Zinx Verituse <zinx@linuxfreak.com> :(){ :|:&};:
    gpg (id 921B1558) (fp 5746 73A1 2184 A27A 9EC0 EDCC E132 BCEF 921B 1558)