    SubjectRe: When to submit something? and: signed executables.
    On Mon, Aug 21, 2000 at 11:39:59AM -0600, Charles Cazabon wrote:

    Hello Charles,

    I submit this to the list since I think it's something that might be of
    interest for others.

    > Just out of curiosity, what happens if...

    > 1. Hacker gets in through sendmail whole or such and gets a root shell.
    > 2. Hacker pokes through /proc/kcore and changes the md5sums stored.
    > 3. Now no one (including root?) can run any setuid programs, or possibly
    > any binaries at all, until the system is restarted or they undo the damage
    > in /proc/kcore.

    The hacker, obviously being root, could also write a module that tries to
    disable the whole MD5 checking thing. He could also mess up everything by
    dumping crap to /proc/kcore, without the MD5 thingie.

    He could also remove the insmod for the module from the startup scripts,
    provocate a reboot...

    If one's already root, the system is overtaken. There's always a way if you
    are root.

    I even would say that if a hacker got root privileges, there's no more need
    to replace any binaries. (except for building "entry insurances")

    But if he has no complete root shell, and there is a way to somehow
    change a binary, put in a trojan horse (how many times a day is an
    administrator typing "ls" as root?)... well, that's bad. And the signed exec
    module (it's called "signed exec" since I later plan to implement some
    public/private key mechanism) prevents this.

    It does not prevent an idiot system administrator from doing idiot things
    which break security, but maybe it has some advantages.

    I believe that security is mostly a conceptual thing, built up by a good
    admin with a good network structure. But if we can make a operating system
    a little bit more secure, make hacking just a little bit more harder -
    why shouldn't we do so?

    Just my 2 cents,

      Last update: 2005-03-22 12:37    [W:0.030 / U:1.248 seconds]