    SubjectRe: abstract file (support multi-part)
    On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, Michael Rothwell wrote:
    > James Sutherland wrote:
    >
    > > It can be done, and in HFS's case already is. No API change needed.
    >
    > "Ugly hack in place; stick head in sand."

    Yes, HFS is an ugly hack. I don't think Linux really makes it any
    uglier...

    NTFS's streams are also an ugly hack. However, we should allow the ugly
    hack to work as well as possible without major upheaval: that entails
    supporting the file:stream convention. This also has the advantage it
    works on "native" filesystems without any extra work - a welcome bonus.
    Neither is true of any of the other approaches mentioned so far, IIRC.

    Incidentally, both NTFS and HPFS support "OS/2 Extended Attributes". I
    would be inclined to support an extra pair of API calls to support access
    to these - get_os2ea() and set_os2ea(), perhaps?

    James.