SubjectRe: abstract file (support multi-part)
On Sun, 20 Aug 2000, Michael Rothwell wrote:
> James Sutherland wrote:
>
> > It can be done, and in HFS's case already is. No API change needed.
>
> "Ugly hack in place; stick head in sand."

Yes, HFS is an ugly hack. I don't think Linux really makes it any
uglier...

NTFS's streams are also an ugly hack. However, we should allow the ugly
hack to work as well as possible without major upheaval: that entails
supporting the file:stream convention. This also has the advantage it
works on "native" filesystems without any extra work - a welcome bonus.
Neither is true of any of the other approaches mentioned so far, IIRC.

Incidentally, both NTFS and HPFS support "OS/2 Extended Attributes". I
would be inclined to support an extra pair of API calls to support access
to these - get_os2ea() and set_os2ea(), perhaps?

James.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans