SubjectRe: Out of memory?
David Ford wrote:

> The kernel does try to kill off programs when it runs out of memory but
> unless it picks the memory pig, then that program will probably immediately
> grab any memory the kernel just freed.

Killing, for instance, kswapd. On my machine last week, the kernel
started killing processes. Its first choice was kswapd, and then it went
on to my window manager and about 10 other programs.

It was pretty retarded.

I know Linux overcommits memory and has no way of knowing who the real
overallocator culprit is, but wouldn't some resource accounting be good?
Or perhaps a tunable or compile-time option to turn off overcommits?

-M

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans