SubjectRe: [patch] DTR/DSR hardware handshake support for 2.0/2.2/2.4
> Using some new flags in c_cflags is the way to go, if we decide to go
> this way.

No big deal -- there are already so many different hwfc APIs among all
the Unixes that one more won't hurt.

> But it does mean chewing up a bunch of extra bits, and I
> really do wonder how many people *really* need this. Maybe I'll set up
> a survey on serial.sourceforge.net to determine whether or not there's
> enough people to want this kind of feature bloat.....

The people who care are not the ones who are hooked into these discussions;
they tend to be drugstore and supermarket floor managers, etc, or system
integrators that cater to them. But in my experience the demand is there as
long as obscure companies crank out POS systems, bar-code readers, looms,
die-cutters, anaesthesia monitors, etc, having RS-232 control ports with
"unusual" flow-control requirements, especially since SVR4-and-later based
systems support them. Here's Kermit on Unixware 7:

$ kermit
C-Kermit 7.0.197, 8 Feb 2000, for Unixware 7
Copyright (C) 1985, 2000,
Trustees of Columbia University in the City of New York.
Type ? or HELP for help.
(/home/fdc/) C-Kermit> set flow ? Flow control type, one of the
following:
dtr/cd dtr/cts keep none rts/cts xon/xoff
(/home/fdc/) C-Kermit> set flow

- Frank

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.037 / U:0.904 seconds]