SubjectRe: NTFS-like streams?
On 14 Aug 2000, Christer Weinigel wrote:

> > That's also horrible.
>
> It might be horrible, but how else are you going to solve it? As
> Linus has said, NTFS is not POSIX compatible anyway, but it has to be
> supported somehow.

Solve it the way I have already explained. NT is POSIX compliant, and uses
this implementation...

> > BTW: What do you do if there's a real directory called ".fork"? Or a
> > file?
>
> Tough luck, on NTFS file systems the name ".fork" is reserved.

Says who? It's not your file system. You just want the drivers to break on
perfectly legal NTFS partitions?

> > You also still have the original problem of naming the forks!
> >
> > If I create "foo" and "bar", both with a fork called "splat", what tree do
> > I get? This one:
> >
> > foo
> > bar
> > .fork/foo:splat
> > .fork/bar:splat
>
> Almost, with / instead of : as the separator.

Oh dear. We're back to the stupid pseudo-magic-directory-thing shit again.

(snip vomit)

> > > That would work on ext2, NFS or any POSIX like filesystem.
> >
> > It might possibly work, but it would leave a mess on the keyboard. Don't
> > do it.
>
> It's how AppleShare has been done with Netatalk for a long time.

Making mistakes is normal. Repeating them should be avoided.

James.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.346 / U:0.108 seconds]