SubjectRe: /dev/random blocks forever on 2.2.12 and 2.2.16
Oscar Roozen wrote:

> Hello People,
>
> Can somebody point me in the right direction for solving this problem?
>
> When I cat or od -x /dev/random it will only give data when I hit the
> keyboard or chase the mouse. It looks like no network or disk traffic
> adds to the entropy pool and it also looks like (according to google
> and deja) I'm the only one with this problem. The process just blocks,
> and even after a full weekend there is no new output.

> Yes, I can put a monkey behind the keyboard, but if somebody knows a
> better solution, please don't be shy. ;)

HM better solution try something like this
DarkThree:~# tcsh
# updatedb & ; cat /dev/random

why tcsh because (same with sh)
DarkThree:~# updatedb & ; cat /dev/random
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `;'
DarkThree:~#

a long time ago I was generating 16K long random key on server
it was proces lasting quite a few hours.
Later that day I did the same on house PC home it generetad
the same 16K 2-4 times longer ???
The same was if I generated key on server by night it was
Painfully SLOW :((

BUT it helped when I move mouse ???

updatedb also ?

so final solution was something about
# updatedb --output=/dev/null & ; cat /dev/random
or
# updatedb --output=/dev/null & ;your program

maybe that will help you ?

Regards,

Zoran

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:1.934 / U:0.536 seconds]