SubjectRe: smbfs problem (my first post too, please be gentle)...
On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, James Gosnell wrote:

> Yeah, I forgot to post that. :) I'm using 2.2.16 with a RAID patch I got
> off of Red Hat's site. Shouldn't that work then? It doesn't. hehe

Yes, unfortunately it should work. :(

No chance of the smbfs module being from an older kernel version? If you
only rebuilt your kernel and not the modules and somehow managed to get
the modules from the wrong version ... I know it sounds unlikely but could
you make sure that the smbfs module (assuming you are using a module) is
from the right kernel version?

> Apparently the patch isn't working or the RAID patch patched over
> something that it wasn't supposed to. The NT machine is NT Server 4.0

I doubt it touched smbfs. URL?

> with the 5.0 service pack. I can also tell you that smbclient reads the
> 'missing' directories just fine, but it's just th smbfs that I need to
> work.

Ok, that's a start. However the smbfs code is after the change more or
less identical to the smbclient code for reading a directory.
linux-2.2.x/fs/smbfs/proc.c:smb_proc_readdir_long
samba-2.0.7/source/libsmb/clientgen.c:cli_list

This problem was thought to be solved in 2.2.14. Some things were removed
from that code in 2.2.16, but it shouldn't make any difference with NT.

If you don't want to hunt this yourself I can have a look. I need a list
of the files in that dir (probably not the files themself). Here is a
"list" of empty files I made for testing the problem 2.2.14 fixed
http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/samba-dir.zip

I'm looking for something like that at best, but I'd be happy with the
output of the DOS dir command. Feel free to unpack this on the server and
see if you have problems with that dir too.

/Urban

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.619 / U:0.712 seconds]