SubjectRe: NTFS-list streams?
robnewberry@grouplogic.com wrote:
>(For the record, HFS+ by design
>supports multiple, arbitrarily named streams as well, but the Mac doesn't
>expose support for them), and because, under NTFS (and by design, HFS+), a
>directory can also have multiple named streams.

Oops, in that case the "files as directories" idea is quite dead, it
simply won't work with NTFS.

>I _PERSONALLY_ would prefer an extended "open" call or new API. I'm from
>a Mac/NT background, and I know that introducing a Linux-only API/system
>call might not be what people want. But I will say that I find it very
>useful and much more clear about what the underlying functionality does.
>This extended open call takes the path to the file, and an optional
>parameter as the name of the stream. Since most file systems simply won't
>support this, they will always fail this call. But file systems like NTFS
>and HFS/HFS+ will work just fine.

The disadvantage of this is that it won't be possible to do
"xv file/icon.xpm" anymore. You're right in that it's probably
the cleanest solution, but it's also the solution that will require
the most changes to existing tools to allow them to operate
on the alternate streams.

I guess I can't have the cake and eat it too :-(

/Christe