    SubjectRe: NTFS-like streams?
    rothwell@holly-springs.nc.us wrote:

    > What's the point in making apps written before streams existed work
    > with streams unmodified?

    Mostly because there exists a lot of backup tools that are hard to
    replace. If the rest of the company uses a backup server which
    supports POSIX file systems you won't be very popular if you insist on
    a special tool to back up your partitions, and lots of backup clients
    aren't open source and thus can't be fixed.

    > > The "files as directories" way is a big deviation from how things work
    > > today, suddenly one can do opendir/readdir on a file
    >
    > Files with streams are not directories. I would not expect
    > readdir() to work on them. There would have to be a different
    > enumerator function.

    Why change everything? Inventing a new API means that _all_ tools
    have to be rewritten to work with alternate streams.

    /Christer