    SubjectRe: NTFS-like streams?

    On Sun, 13 Aug 2000, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
    > On Sat, Aug 12, 2000 at 11:46:08PM -0400, Alexander Viro wrote:
    > On Sun, 13 Aug 2000, Mo McKinlay wrote:
    > > Being able to do..
    > >
    > > $ cp files.tar.gz/docs/mydoc1.txt .
    > >
    > > Would be useful.
    > Here it comes...
    > But the is a perfect exampe of something that can already be done
    > today in userland -- in this inctance making cp aware of tar.gz files
    > and their internals. Obviously you might want to do this in an
    > external library or something which reads common configuration files
    > and then load handlers based of file extension or something...

    Ok. Let's focus a bit.

    Resource forks. HFS. NTFS. Real filesystems. Stuff that cannot sanely be
    done in user space.

    The "tarfs" thing is a complete red herring. It _can_ sanely be done in
    user space. That's how it's been done for the last 30 years.

    Let's focus on a thing that _does_ need kernel support, namely good
    support for real filesystems that have aspects that are almost, but not
    quite, totally unlike "tarfs".

    "tarfs" is a cool weekend hack. Not very useful, and with obvious
    downsides to it. HFS and NTFS support are obviously useful things where I
    don't think anybody really claims that we shouldn't natively support
    getting the real data out of files mounted on such a partition.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.028 / U:0.432 seconds]