    SubjectQuery wrt Router Table behaviour
    I've noticed that Linux' router table code
    has always allowed duplicate entries. (Same
    source, same destination, same device, same
    gateway, etc.)
    As the duplicates are redundant and just hog
    router table space, is this "correct" behaviour?
    (I remember hearing some time back the argument
    that O'(O(t))=t, where O is the operation on the
    table, O' is the inverse, and t is the table. At
    first sight, this is logical, but it assumes
    that the router table is a collection of items
    which may or may not be unique. However, in
    terms of how the computer behaves, the table is
    a set of items which -must- be unique.)
    Yes, I know that the table is being held in a
    linked list, which makes searches inefficient,
    but that always leaves two options:
    Option 1: have a garbage-collection routine
    periodicly clense the router table of junk.
    Option 2: Store the table in a tree (for
    the destination), and a list within that. This
    would make for quicker searches (though given
    the list is usually small, probably not
    significantly), and easier checks for duplicates
    at insertion time.
    Having said all that, none of this is exactly
    obscure or arcane. I can therefore conclude that
    there are some excellent reasons I'm missing for
    the Linux networking code to work the way it
    If anyone wants to enlighten me, please feel

    --== Sent via ==--
    Before you buy.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.020 / U:58.712 seconds]