SubjectRe: NTFS-like streams?
Mo McKinlay <mmckinlay@gnu.org> said:

[...]

> Being able to store metadata for a file is nice in that you can say "file1
> has *this* icon, while file2 has *this* icon", and fall back to the
> default icon for the file type if the metadata's there. With this kind of
> metadata, you wouldn't expect (and probably wouldn't want) redirection and
> piping to carry it across - only full-file copies/moves. Having metadata
> carried across in redirection and pipes would lead to all sorts of
> not-too-well defined rules that people would never be 100% sure of.

Just too bad this is a typical single-user-only mechanism: I don't want the
same icons (or messages, or whatever) to apply to make(1) as the next
guy. It is a UI problem, and UIs are user setup configuration stuff, not
file format stuff.

If you can come up with something that currently isn't kept in an
executable (or whatever) file, and that has to be managed centrally, it is
probably something that has to be kept out of the file itself anyway: ACLs
and capabilities are cases in point.
--
Horst von Brand vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Vin~a del Mar, Chile +56 32 672616