    SubjectRe: NTFS-like streams?
    On Sat, 12 Aug 2000, Roger Gammans wrote:
    > On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 10:34:12PM -0400, Michael Rothwell wrote:
    > > > There are far too many *protocols* (http, ftp,
    > > > nfsv3, etc.) that also don't know about streams.
    > >
    > > So they transfer the data in the default streams and
    > > work the same way they do now. Apache could still use
    >
    > Just to point out the obvious. But are you propose that people
    > can't use tar for backups without losing their other streams...

    Currently you lose your "normal" file attributes (ie. the
    ownership info and permission bits) when you transfer a
    file over http.

    Why would this be any different with extended attributes?

    When you _do_ want to have these things transferred, you can
    use a modified tar (or cpio or pax) archive format. Just like
    the "standard tar" stores the normal unix attributes, it should
    store the extended attributes.

    And when we're talking about a "multistream file", just give the
    user the whole directory in one .tar file...

    regards,

    Rik
    --
    "What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
    -- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

    http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/