SubjectRe: [patch?] Re: Do ramdisk exec's map direct to buffer cache?
Hi!

> > > because of lacking memory,
> > > we need binfmt like XIP(eXecution In Place).
> > > but, it's seems not to be exists. :(
> >
> > The ucLinux people at least at one point had XIP working. I believe some of
> > the linuxce people looked at it too. It isnt conceptually hard. The ramdisk
> > effectively does what you need which is to add the ROM data (suitably aligned)
> > to the page cache and then lock it. For 2.4 ramfs might be a better prototype
>
> The flat binary - the uClinux people called - is based on coff format.
> I don't know specs of coff.
> In source-view, it seems to be from a.out format.
>
> IMHO the LinuxCE's XIP is kernel-XIP, not application & library XIP.

Oops, right.

> Because of large shared library we'll use,
> We want elf-based XIP binfmt.
> Perhaps I'll work for it, but can't see the way.

What about turning your rom into romdisk, and then putting filesystem
just after kernel?

Or better, use cramfs. It will not be XIP, but it will solve your
tiny-memory problems: page to be needed will be uncompressed then
used. Yes, cramfs is probably the way to go; put it just after kernel
in rom, then mount rom as block device, and mount cramfs from it.
Pavel
--
I'm pavel@ucw.cz. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents at discuss@linmodems.org