SubjectRe: NTFS-like streams?
"Jeff V. Merkey" wrote:

> Actually, NT was derived from an internal code named project called
> "Windows N-10 (n-ten)" back in the days when Gates was trying to build
> MIPS workstations and a version of Windows to run on it in ca.
> 1989/1990.

Early versions shipped on floppy disks labelled "OS/3."
Cutler had his team first write NT on MIPS and then port
to x86 to underscore the importance of portability (which
was recently tossed out the window).

> > If NT programmers' code requires things that are incompatible with the
> > requirements of UNIX programs - well, you know where to find NT if you
> > need it.
>
> I will implement as an ioctl() into the FS -- they will ned to change
> some code organization, but that's just life, I guess....

That would be fine. We will be implementing a similar
mechanism to make the extra data accessible in our
filesystem whether or not any actual namespace or other
support is provided, as it is a cross-platform filesystem.

> I agree we cannot break existing functionality. period ....

Yes, that would probably make people upset. But we
should try to provide named streams on Unix anyway.
I think it can be done, probably without goring
anyone's personal ox.

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans