    SubjectRe: [Announce] Linux Test Project
    On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Nathan Straz wrote:

    > On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 05:03:15PM +0100, James Sutherland wrote:
    > > On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, David Mansfield wrote:
    > > > Ideally, in the case where something bad but not as fatal as complete
    > > > lockup happens, the test bed should diagnose the fault. This could be
    > > > capturing the oops, or running ps -alx to see where it's stuck.
    > >
    > > Yep. Using a serial console should enable reasonable information capture,
    > > and the script can have a standard set of "failure responses" to run if a
    > > test returns a failure of any sort?
    > While I definately want to support serial consoles and network logging
    > for large testing environments (like product testing), I also want LTP
    > to work on a single system environment. I think that's important to
    > have for the average Linux hacker. If Joe User finds a problem with in
    > the kernel I want him to be able to run LTP on his box to get detailed
    > testing information that someone else can analyze and use to solve the
    > problem.

    A good aim. I was thinking in terms of a testing farm a la SourceForge for
    this idea. To support home use, writing to a file using O_SYNC is probably
    the most flexible? Writing to a printer as ASCII would probably be better
    where possible; if/when the machine reboots, the printer would just print
    up to the point where the box died, and then spit the page out.

    > > > In all the cases where I've tested the kernel, it has been a matter of
    > > > 'Here is the test which crashes the kernel, let's see if it crashes this
    > > > one, too' and I just want to throw this into the consideration of how to
    > > > best create a test harness.
    > >
    > > Indeed. The other question is, how to handle deadlocks? I'd probably use a
    > > serial console, being logged by another machine; if the machine dies, just
    > > reboot, then have the machine resume testing where it left off.
    > That would be the easy case. How do you reboot a locked machine over a
    > serial console?

    On a testing farm, you just use a remote switch (APC sell something along
    these lines for this purpose, IIRC): the monitoring machine will just pull
    the plug remotely. For home use, you'd have to be sitting nearby unless
    you have a watchdog card installed, I suspect?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:58    [W:0.021 / U:3.704 seconds]