    SubjectRe: [patch?] Re: Do ramdisk exec's map direct to buffer cache?

    On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

    > > Quite frankly, the last time I saw those kinds of sweeping words were
    > > about ext3 about 4 years ago. They were hot air then. Are there actually
    > > patches out there, or is this another hot-air thing?
    >
    > They've been out there for a long time. I've got 60+ day uptimes on boxes
    > running ext3. You need to come out of your box more often

    Look again.

    4 years ago.

    And yes, within the last four months or so ext3 has actually become
    reality.

    In large part, I suspect, because it became so painfully obvious that
    ReiserFS was getting quite a lot of attention.

    THAT is what I'm complaining about. Not the last couple of months. But the
    years that preceded it.

    I hope the MM thing doesn't turn into that. We need incremental
    improvements, not grand schemes that get talked about.

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.038 / U:59.752 seconds]