SubjectRe: [patch?] Re: Do ramdisk exec's map direct to buffer cache?

On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Quite frankly, the last time I saw those kinds of sweeping words were
> > about ext3 about 4 years ago. They were hot air then. Are there actually
> > patches out there, or is this another hot-air thing?
> They've been out there for a long time. I've got 60+ day uptimes on boxes
> running ext3. You need to come out of your box more often

Look again.

4 years ago.

And yes, within the last four months or so ext3 has actually become

In large part, I suspect, because it became so painfully obvious that
ReiserFS was getting quite a lot of attention.

THAT is what I'm complaining about. Not the last couple of months. But the
years that preceded it.

I hope the MM thing doesn't turn into that. We need incremental
improvements, not grand schemes that get talked about.