SubjectRe: [patch?] Re: Do ramdisk exec's map direct to buffer cache?
On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Rik van Riel wrote:
> >
> > NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
>
> Ehh..
>
> We're close to 2.4.x
>
> We need to fix this bug.
>
> We're not adding new untested code. We're fixing bugs.

But with this "fix" you'd be adding another one in the
process.

Admitted, it's only a performance bug, but I found it to
grind the machine to an absolute halt when doing IO
intensive stuff or running large programs...

Stephen Tweedie, Andrea Arcangeli and me have been looking
at this bug and others and have found there's pretty much
NO WAY to fix this without some bigger changes in the VM
code. Performance will suck in the earlier 2.4 kernels, but
I hope to have some new VM code ready later on for a more
readable, better maintainable, more stable VM subsystem
with somewhat higher performance.

(I should write down the design we made at OLS and will do
so shortly)

regards,

Rik
--
"What you're running that piece of shit Gnome?!?!"
-- Miguel de Icaza, UKUUG 2000

http://www.conectiva.com/ http://www.surriel.com/