    SubjectRe: 2.4.0-pre5 Replacement for make modules_install
    Date
    In article <398630ED.D08BB26@uow.edu.au>,
    Andrew Morton <andrewm@uow.edu.au> wrote:
    >David Hinds wrote:
    >>
    >> On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 07:42:59AM +1000, Andrew Morton wrote:
    >> >
    >> > The problem is that the new 3c59x.o supports both Cardbus and PCI/EISA
    >> > NICs. It is possibly unique in this respect.
    >>
    >> It is not, or at least not likely to be for long. The tulip driver
    >> also supports CardBus.
    >
    >I don't see that in the 2.4.0-test4 tree. Any idea who will be doing
    >this, and when?

    The reason you don't see that in the 2.4.0-test4 tree is that there is
    nothing to see.

    A good PCI driver will _automatically_ support the equivalent cardbus
    card. I use tulip.c on my VAIO all the time, and it works quite well. No
    cardmgr needed at all, in fact.

    The old notion of having separate drivers for CardBus and PCI was always
    broken. CardBus is just PCI with hotplug capabilities (and some
    backwards compatibility cruft to handle 16-bit cards - which don't look
    anything like PCI at all and sharing a driver wouldn't work).

    In fact, the tulip driver was the first to be converted to the new PCI
    interfaces, and has worked this way for quite some time.

    Linus

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.024 / U:118.872 seconds]