SubjectRe: linux-2.4.0 breaks grub install into partition
OKUJI Yoshinori wrote:

> From: "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa@zytor.com>
> Subject: Re: linux-2.4.0 breaks grub install into partition
> Date: 8 Jul 2000 22:55:58 -0700
>
> > That's a pretty ridiculous assertion! When you have a kernel
> > filesystem mounted, it belongs to the kernel.
>
> Surely, but it is sometimes necessary to access a mounted
> device. For example, when you want to access a root partition, what do
> you do? You can't unmount it, so at least it should be safe to remount
> it in read-only mode. Don't forget that not all machines have floppy
> drives.

As I said, the only operation that I think can be justified is accessing
the boot block (and that's only because noone has added an API to do it
cleanly.) Accessing any other part of the filesystem is death.

> > There operations don't change a thing. At all. They're not merely
> > overkill, they're useless. You're changing tires because you're out
> > of gas.
>
> Really? As far as I hear, they are better than doing nothing.

Not really. They won't have any effect, neither positive or negative,
except perhaps make you feel better.

-hpa

http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt