    SubjectRe: Kernel 2.2.14 OOM killer strikes.
    On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Mike A. Harris wrote:

    > That is the problem I believe, is that the kernel needs to try and
    > determine using logic which process is the REAL bad guy. Next to
    > impossible...

    Perhaps I'm naive, but it doesn't seem all that hard in the average
    case. If the kernel had access to some sort of historical
    memory-usage data then it could do some simple analysis in OOM. I
    imagine it would be pretty easy to spot your run-of-the-mill infinite-loop
    allocator with a few seconds of data at hand.

    If this idea is to be persued there are two questions - where/how to
    gather the necessary historical traces and what analysis to perform to
    come up with the culprit most of the time.

    Good idea? Suitable for a first kernel project?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.020 / U:18.972 seconds]