SubjectRe: [SEMI-OT] partition table recovery (URGENT)

NetWare Partitions always make a copy of the last valid partition table
(boot sector) at sector offset (1) from the start of a NetWare
partition. MS-DOS also used to do this as well (up to 6.22), though I
do not know for certain if Linux fat is set up to provide this. You can
scan a sector at a time and look for 0x55AA at the end of each sector on
the disk and try to find an old copy of the partition table. This
signature will occupy the last two bytes of the boot sector. If you
find this pattern, then copy this sector to sector 0 and see if your
partition table comes back.

:-)

Jeff

Vincent Vanackere wrote:

> After a bad manipulation, I lost my partition table...
>
> I know it could be possible to recover it if I had written down the type,
> begining and ending blocks of
> each partition, but unfortunatly that's not the case.
>
> So I desperatly need to know if there's a way to get this information by
> scanning the device (*) looking for a special string (?) identifying the
> begining block of my ext2, swap, and FAT32 partitions ?
>
> my setup was :
>
> hda1 : FAT32 (about 2.5 Go)
> hda2 : swap (about 128 Mo)
> hda3 : ext2 (about 2 Go)
>
> The only partition I really care about is the ext2 one, so if there's an
> ext2 guru out there...
>
> If someone knows a way to do it or the URL of a tool that can acheive
> this, please let me know.
>
> (*) using something like cc-linux to cat the raw contents of /dev/hda
>
> Vincent Vanackere
>
> -

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.049 / U:0.092 seconds]