SubjectRe: Ke: [offtopic] Re: Patented algorithms in kernel
pavel-velo@bug.ucw.cz wrote:

> Hi!
>
> >Once upon a time, Pavel Machek <pavel@suse.cz> said:
> >>PS: I do not think this applies. Software patents are US-only
> >>stupidity.
> >
> >I don't think so. For example of the algorithms used by the original
> >PGP, the RSA algorithm is patented in the US only, that is because they
> >published it before applying for a patent (in the US you can do that,
> >but not in the rest of the world AFAIK - they were trying to get it
> >published before the US govt blocked publication of strong encryption).
> >The IDEA algorithm however is patented world-wide.
>
> Does it mean I may not use IDEA algorithm or commercial purposes in Deutchland?
> What about czech republic?

The patent is held by the Swiss company Ascom. Licensing details are at:

http://www.itsec.ch/eidea.html

> But if I code idea algorithm and do not use it myself, I'm safe; right?

Ask a lawyer.

But why use IDEA? The AES process to chhose a new US standard cipher is almost
over; a winner should be declared in the next month or two.

http://www.ii.uib.no/~larsr/aes.html

A condition of entry was that any cipher that wins must be released for open
use,
with no license restrictions. Two of the five finalists, IBM's MARS and RSA's
RC6,
have formally agreed to that condition, but have not said what they'll do if
they
are not chosen. The other three -- Rjindael, Twofish and Serpent -- are already
released for general use. Use one of them!

Code for all of them, with an open license, is available on Brian Gladwin's
page:

http://www.btinternet.com/~brian.gladman/

There are other sources for most of them as well.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.029 / U:0.660 seconds]