    SubjectRe: PS/2 mouse latency was Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [DATAPOINT] kernels and latencies
    Date

    > The PS/2 mouse interface has an incestuous relation to the keyboard
    > controller; they use the same registers. Keyboard controller is writen
    > to regularly in the keyboard interrupt when you press a key. Both
    > have to be serialized.
    >

    > -Andi

    (Sort of OT) I realized that the PS/2 controller snagged a few of the upper
    bits or something like that in the region that communicates with the keyboard.
    (Been a long time since I looked at this) Is this the case on all
    arches/platforms, for instance when the SPARC uses a PS/2 mouse does it use the
    same sort of relationship between the keyboard and the mouse?

    Thanks,
    Shane.

    (This is curious to me because I have a Vr-4121 based Workpad that's running
    the Vr series kernel, and I have yet to get the PS/2 Trackpoint working on this
    little device. I pulled the machine to pieces and identified the controller
    chip which was PS/2, but was unable to trace this back to a GPIO on the
    processor, or back into the keyboard control interface. The trackpoint chip is
    the same as those employed in IBM laptops.)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.019 / U:29.616 seconds]