SubjectRe: Tools to repair damages /dev/hda1

Yes, you can get your files back. I found out by trial that the 0x06
sector contains a copy of 0x00 sector of /dev/hda1. So just do this:

dd if=/dev/hda1 of=bsback.txt bs=512 count=6

edit bsback.txt, make it only contain 0x0c00 - 0x0dff data (the last 512
bytes. Remember usually one sector is 0x0200 bytes). Then:

dd if=bsback.txt of=/dev/hda1 bs=512 count=1

mount your partition, you will be able to get back all your files. Enjoy.
Cautions: 1) do make a backup of your original /dev/hda1 sectors.
Preferrably, the first 12 or so, in case you did something wrong.
2) check the things you are going to write back onto your disk,
make sure it ends with 0x55 0xaa.

My problem is somehow more disastrous. Even though I got back all my
files. I could not recover the boot record/files properly. Something has
to do with bootsect.dos and bootsect.w98se. I ended up reinstalling
windows OS on that partition again. Knowing this could happen, I have all
non-system files on other partitions and backup windows
registry/start_folder regularly.

The EZ DRIVE software isn't smart at all. Using it to boot from a floopy
won't enable me to see the large harddisk. It is really awkward when you
can see all your files under linux but cannot do anything to save it. So I
cannot do a "sys c". It would be nice if Linux can have a software that
can does the "sys c" thing. I think it should not be hard to implement.
It is not linux's fault. M$ sux.

Fei

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.041 / U:0.124 seconds]