Subjectshm strangeness in 2.2.15/16

Well, it seems I'm getting some very weird things happening with shared memory in 2.2

I might note this is just a recent thing. It was happening in 2.2.15 as well as 2.2.16. But in
any case what I am noticing is that everything is fine for some time, or condition, I don't really
know except after a while of running the system I get errors that programs can't allocate shared
memory. shmget() seems to be returning an ENOSPC which to me seems odd.

For example I get this in apache logs:

[Tue Jul 4 21:34:11 2000] [emerg] (28)No space left on device: could not call shmget

Any other program trying to call shmget() gets this error after a notable period of uptime. When
the system first starts up everything will start happily so it seems to be some sort of progressive
decay of shared memory availability (?). I have a decent amount of main system memory so I don't see
it running out of space *although* I am noticing that my shared memory allocation is rather high,
but I wouldn't think that would cause any drama:

total: used: free: shared: buffers: cached:
Mem: 263041024 255148032 7892992 127479808 5873664 89694208
Swap: 139821056 1114112 138706944
MemTotal: 256876 kB
MemFree: 7708 kB
MemShared: 124492 kB
Buffers: 5736 kB
Cached: 87592 kB
SwapTotal: 136544 kB
SwapFree: 135456 kB

It seems strange to me the buffer memory would be that low seeing as I tend to run quite a lot of
applications on my machine but that is probably just my wandering imagination.

I had a brainstorm and thought that /proc/sys/kernel/shm* may be too low for my load. To rule that
I put them to rather large values and I still get ENOSPC on shmget() calls:

sh-2.04# cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax && cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmall
201326592
4194304

(The second being a volatile value)

So that's why I'm writing .. I thought maybe there was something I was missing here :)

My kernel IS running the IDE 2.2.16 patch from hedrick and the lm-sensors / I2C 2.2.16 patch. But
these I also don't see these causing any strife with my poor old kernel. Oh, and my kernel is SMP:

Linux version 2.2.16 (z@backdraft) (gcc version 2.95.2 20000313 (Debian GNU/Linux)) #11 SMP Thu Jun
29 18:57:03 EST 2000

Regrads,

Patrick

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.084 / U:0.048 seconds]