SubjectRe: (reiserfs) Re: sync: why disk cannot spin down
On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Xuan Baldauf wrote:
> Matthias Andree wrote:
> You tell me the kernel starts missing drive ACKs even if there are no read
> or write requests pending? Even then, the drive was never in sleep mode
> (requires reset), it always was in standby mode (does not require reset). My
> primary intent is to reduce the noise of the drive, not the power
> consumption.

Of course, if the kernel is not writing, it's not missing "operation
complete" transactions.

My point is: putting a drive to sleep rather than to standby will not
help much, it will only delay the spin-up and possibly leave you with a
slower drive.

--
Matthias Andree