    SubjectRe: (reiserfs) Re: sync: why disk cannot spin down
    On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Xuan Baldauf wrote:
    > Matthias Andree wrote:
    > You tell me the kernel starts missing drive ACKs even if there are no read
    > or write requests pending? Even then, the drive was never in sleep mode
    > (requires reset), it always was in standby mode (does not require reset). My
    > primary intent is to reduce the noise of the drive, not the power
    > consumption.

    Of course, if the kernel is not writing, it's not missing "operation
    complete" transactions.

    My point is: putting a drive to sleep rather than to standby will not
    help much, it will only delay the spin-up and possibly leave you with a
    slower drive.

    Matthias Andree

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.021 / U:23.736 seconds]