SubjectRe: pc_keyb.c 3 button mouse emulation
At 22:05 30.07.00, Pavel Machek wrote:
>Hi!
>
> > I would like to use the "Windows" key on my PC compatible notebook as the
> > middle mouse button. I would prefer to do this at the driver level as is
> > done on the Macintosh port rather than at the application level.
>
>BAD idea.
>
>Such emulation belongs to gpm -R, then X can see already "emulated"
>features. Notice that what you want is very similar to me wanting
>mouse-on-keyboard emulation [and you definitely don't want *that* in
>kernelspace, do you].
>
>I actually did mouse-on-keyboard emulation with trivial patch called
>keylink some time ago. [It basically created /dev/keylink and whenever
>you pressed interesting key it send char through that device].

I agree, this belongs in user space. I'm currently rewriting the PPC stuff
for the input layer (just checked in to the BK repository) and I have kept
the emulation (converted to an separate mouse-like input_dev, called via a
hook in keybdev.c) for 2.4, but I plan to get rid of it during 2.5.

Hmm, actually your keylink idea sounds neat, maybe I should create a pseudo
keyboard event device instead of a pseudo mouse device and have gpm
evaluate this pseudo device. Have to find out how I can make that work with
XF4 _without_ gpm.

Franz.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.035 / U:1.228 seconds]