    SubjectRe: RLIM_INFINITY inconsistency between archs
    Date
    Followup to:  <8m4uri$d9e$1@enterprise.cistron.net>
    By author: miquels@cistron.nl (Miquel van Smoorenburg)
    In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

    > >> Everything in /usr/include belongs to and depends on glibc, not
    > >> the currently running kernel.
    > >
    > >Unfortunately that doesn't work very well. For user-space daemons
    > >which talk to Linux-specific kernel interfaces, such as automount, you
    > >need both the glibc and the Linux kernel headers.
    >
    > Yes, but you can't mix&match anyway. For stuff like that you're
    > probably best off by using a talktokernel.c file that is
    > compiled with -I/path/to/kernel/include while the rest of the
    > daemon doesn't know about kernel internals.
    >
    > That could and perhaps should be fixed, but I think that is
    > a different issue entirely.

    For most kernel interface daemons, that is not an option. You need to
    be able to translate (or just transfer information) between
    glibc-provided and kernel-provided data structures, so you need to be
    able to include all the datatypes.

    Let's get this straight: #include <linux/*> and #include <asm/*> are
    *expected* to be the kernel headers. This is a completely different
    issue from the fact that glibc headers shouldn't #include these
    headers like libc5 did.

    -hpa

    http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt