    SubjectRe: [RFC][Long][Horror story] Mount flags

    On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Andries Brouwer wrote:

    > On Sun, Jul 30, 2000 at 07:09:35PM -0400, Alexander Viro wrote:

    > > describe the rules in a manpage and see if you will be able to look at it
    > > without a feeling that it's an overcomplicated kludge.

    Bzzzzert. I _hope_ that you will not follow that rule in mount(8), because
    otherwise... Guess what it will do under 2.2? Right.

    > This is not the time to introduce new mount syscalls.

    You've just done that _and_ kept the same syscall number. mount(2) documented
    as above is _NOT_ the same syscall as it used to be since '94. Different
    documented calling conventions. And anyone trying to follow them will get
    a program that behaves on any kernel prior to 2.4 other than expected. Worse
    yet, you will not get an error from mount(2).

    Moreover, now we get an undocumented and strange-looking interface that _is_
    compatible between 2.4 and earlier kernels. Fun, fun, looks like mount(8)
    uses it instead of what had been said in the manpage.

    Sorry, but having the parameters used by mount(8) left _undefined_ in
    mount(2) manpage strikes me as extremely bad idea.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.022 / U:31.724 seconds]