SubjectRe: console over network
Erik Mouw wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Jul 2000 06:54:24 +0400, Art Boulatov wrote:
> > I have a question,
> > is there any way to make all kernel messages go not to a serial console
> > or virtual terminal but over the network.
> > Like a pass some console= parameter to kernel at boot time and all
> > messages
> > go over tcp/udp to a central syslog daemon running on a server.
>
> Add this line to /etc/syslog.conf:
>
> *.debug @full.name.off.loghost
>
> The syslog daemon at the loghost has to be run with the "-r" option.

Yes, that's no problem with that.

> > I mean I want to capture all messages that come before
> >
> > execve("/sbin/init",argv_init,envp_init);
> >
> > over the network.
>
> Tricky. Use the serial console, connect it to another linux machine and
> route it to wherever you want.

Well, I should have said that I have 70 workstations booting
over DHCP/NFS(kernel) and then mounting local HD, in case everything
is okay, or mounting root over NFS in case of local HD "failure"(various
reasons),
fixing the problem/reinstalling and then remounting local HD again.

Then xdm pops up and users login over NIS+/NFS(homedirs).

That's why I cannot connect to serial ports (too many) :))

But I need a full remote monitor/auditing.
I have no problem with forwarding syslog messages to the "auditing
host".

__But I was wondering if I can forward messages _before_ syslog
starts and _not_using_ serial__

Since kernel is passed configuration information from NIC rom which gets
it over DHCP,
I could pass the loghost tag over dhcp and kernel would (could?)
interpret it as
console.

Is it possible to implement that? Or do I sound stupid? :))

[in the future]
I was just thinking about an application, I mean a GUI frontend,
which lets you wake up all/any workstations (wakeonlan), boot whatever
kernel
you wan't (DHCP/NFS), and see any host booting process/current state in
that application,
like if you stay in front of that host, but even more.

That would greately ease the administration, in case you got problems,
you upgrade,
you experiment (like clusters), or you audit what your users tryed to
mess with...

Art.