SubjectRe: Low Latency Patch
Robert Dinse <nanook@eskimo.com> said:

[...]

> But I see some major impediments to that happening. On the desktop,
> people are not going to use an OS that can't decently handle multimedia
> applications and that is herky-jerky under moderate load.

That are not exactly the reasons why people prefer other systems... and the
people who _do_ prefer Linux anyway aren't screaming because of these
shortcommings either.

> Ingo's patch addresses this issue. Perhaps it's not the right
> approach, but it fixes a serious glaring deficiency in Linux with respect
> to the Desktop market. By the time the "right" fix is developed and in
> place, if ever, that market may be lost. Microsoft isn't sitting idle
> while Linux is being developed.

But as was told here over and again, it is the _wrong_ approach. Applying
this to the kernel just paints Linux into an ugly corner. Then what?

> On the server front, Linux is not going to succeed if it isn't
> reasonably secure. Solar Designs patch is not a be-all and end-all for
> security, but it does provide some useful enhancements.

As long as they aren't fed to Linus in a reasonably controlled,
feature-by-feature breakdown with careful analysis of why they are
worthwhile for all here to see and comment or even improve, they won't go
into the mainstream kernel. That is the way Linux came from its (in
restrospect) ridiculous beginnings to be what it is today in such short
time. _Something_ in that way must be right...

[...]

> If Linux does not provide things needed for the desktop and server
> markets soon, it will lose the opportunity to dominate those areas.

First of all, Linux is doing just fine in the server market, thank you.
Secondly, this isn't any game about "market dominance". We both picked up
Linux for its hack value and out of sheer love, in the 0.9x days. I'd still
hack on Linux if there were only a few nutcases around doing so (just like
the good old days before distributions ;-)

[...]

> I don't want to see Linux become a bloated unmaintainable piece of crap,
> nor do I want to see it die on the vine, which if latency, security, and
> stability issues are not addressed, it surely will do.

They _are_ being addressed.
--
Horst von Brand vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl
Casilla 9G, Vin~a del Mar, Chile +56 32 672616