SubjectRe: More 2.2.17pre9 VM issues
Date
> Right, my vote was always to revert to the 2.2.14 VM which is not
> perfect but which at least is reasonably well understood. We're

The 2.2.14 vm kills processes at random, stalls for 30 seconds at a time and
regularly starves atomic allocators for 20 seconds.

> fixing things as we go, sure, but we are breaking them too in 2.2
> right now, and that is just not acceptable for a minor kernel update
> in a stable branch.

Unfortunately the 2.2 VM was broken as shipped in 2.2.0 and in hindsight we
should never have shipped 2.2.0 with that VM code. We shipped it and
currently its still crap. It'll never be brilliant but it can and has to
be stabilised.

There is an important lesson here for 2.4 test where the VM is even more broken
than 2.2. It would be wise not to repeat the same mistake and to actually spend
the time needed to shake out minor bugs also putting the VM back together
in something resembling working form even if it delays 2.4 a couple of months.

Right now the best Linux VM is in 2.0.3x. It outperforms 2.2 on most loadings
and it uses vastly less CPU time.

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.054 / U:2.724 seconds]