SubjectRe: a joint letter on low latency and Linux
>> If this turns out to be true, I see it as pretty sad commentary on
>> the state of the kernel. If its sprinkled all over with random hacks
>> that cause it to avoid a return to user space for inordinate amounts
>> of time, that doesn't seem to be a much better situation than the
>> one in which there are a bunch of random hacks that seek to reverse
>> it.
>
>Argghhh! It's *NOT* sprinkled all over with random hacks which prevent
>it from scheduling early. It's a clean design with the absence of
>random hacks.
>
>What you're asking for is the *introduction* of random hacks. Not the
>reversal of random hacks. Hasn't this been made clear by now?
>Is this an attempt at Newspeak or trying to snow people over with FUD?

no, its a (failed) attempt at greco-roman rhetoric. i was just trying
to make an allusion to the fact that nobody can point to any
particular place in the kernel that prevents a SCHED_FIFO runnable
thread from making back onto the processor quickly. in fact, most
people who know about such things believe that fixing it given the
current kernel would require patching all kinds of "random" locations
where something is done to prevent this (presumably desirable and
correct) behaviour from happening.

so somehow, despite the fact that it would seem extremely desirable
that if current->need_resched is set, the processor should be context
switching ASAP, we've ended up with a system where that does not
happen. no, i know its not because of a bunch of random hacks. i'm
just not good enough with rhetoric to have gotten the feel for this
across.

--p

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.344 / U:0.020 seconds]