SubjectRe: a joint letter on low latency and Linux
>I think people advocating the scheduling/preemption hacks should go
>and run some exhaustive tests to find out how bad the latency can be
>with said patch, and then identify where the remaining latencies are
>coming from. Then fix the worst offender and run the tests again.

Agreed. We have some useful tools for this.

>My guess is you'll be digging yourself in deeper and deeper,
>sprinkling random hacks in random places, as Linus put it.

If this turns out to be true, I see it as pretty sad commentary on the
state of the kernel. If its sprinkled all over with random hacks that
cause it to avoid a return to user space for inordinate amounts of
time, that doesn't seem to be a much better situation than the one in
which there are a bunch of random hacks that seek to reverse it.

--p

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.056 / U:0.080 seconds]