SubjectHard freeze when loading Neomagic NM256 driver
Date
I am experiencing a problem the likes of which I haven't really seen on
Linux before. I am trying to load the nm256_audio.o & supporting modules on
a Dell Latitude LS laptop. The result is an instantaneous freeze - no kernel
oops, no log messages, nothing. The computer must then be manually shut off;
neither the 3-finger salute or issuing a suspend command via the keyboard
does anything. The machine just dies as soon as I try to load the module. I
compiled the module under both 2.2.16-3 and 2.4.0-test2 and had the exact
same problem under both. I have seen many people get NeoMagic sound support
to work fine under Linux, in some cases using the exact same system as me,
so I'm a little befuddled as to what is going on here. I tried loading the
module in X windows, out of X, in single user mode, loading it with PnP
support disabled in the BIOS, loading it with the onboard modem & ethernet
chips disabled in the BIOS, and many combinations thereof, yet I still have
the exact same problem. I wish I had more/any debugging information to post,
but like I said I'm not getting a kernel oops, log message, or anything.
About the best thing I can do is give you my /proc/pci output:

Bus 1, device 0, function 0:
VGA compatible controller: Neomagic Corporation [MagicMedia 256AV] (rev
32).
IRQ 10.
Master Capable. Latency=128. Min Gnt=16.Max Lat=255.
Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf6000000 [0xf6ffffff].
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfe400000 [0xfe7fffff].
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfeb00000 [0xfebfffff].
Bus 1, device 0, function 1:
Multimedia audio controller: Neomagic Corporation [MagicMedia 256AV
Audio] (rev 32).
IRQ 10.
Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf7800000 [0xf7bfffff].
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfea00000 [0xfeafffff].

Any ideas, guys? I've been running Linux for 7 years and just never seen it
crash like this before...

Thanks!

John
jctdrix at hotmail dot com