SubjectRe: xfree and devel kernels > 2.3.99-pre6
Pete Toscano wrote:

> it was pointed out to me (thanks mark) that i didn't mention my
> machine's configuration:
>
> dual p3 600 (smp kernel)
> 512M ram
> asus p2b-d mobo
> intel 10/100 etherexpress pro nic
> matrox g400 max video board
> sb live x-gamer sound board
> ms usb mouse
> sandisk usb cf reader (usb-storage)
> both keyboard and monitor have usb hubs
>
> thanks,
> pete
>
> On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, Pete Toscano wrote:
>
> > hello,
> >

> > when i run it in console mode, i can't get it to lock up. i also can't
> > get it to lock up in x reliably. sometimes, it'll run for a few hours
> > before a lockup, others, five minutes.
> >
> > now, afaict, these are not normal x lockups. from another machine on my
> > network, i cannot ping my machine and i cannot establish any other
> > network connection to it. am i correct in thinking that if it were just
> > x locking up, i'd still be able to ping my machine and ssh to it?
> >
> > to check that it's probably not my hardware, i installed freebsd in
> > another partition and it runs for hours with no problems in xfree 3.3.6.
> > also, 2.2.16 with andre's udma patches, the agpart patches, and the usb
> > patches seems to work fine.
> >
> > when a crash occurs, nothing gets written to any logs (at least, nothing
> > that actually gets written to disk and saved). the only way i know
> > something !nice happened the last time my computer had power was when i
> > power back up and go through the whole fsck process.
> >
> > thanks for the help,
> > pete

Well, Me too.

I'm using XFree 3.3.6 but with a Voodoo 3, also SMP (2x200mmx) 96M ram
and no usb, keyboard and mouse ps2. I think the problem in my case is
realted to XFree trying to use DPMS to shut down the monitor, if I leave
X alone eventually xscreensaver kicks in and after some time X tries to
shut down the monitor, when I come I found the last xscreensaver hack
frozen and the same simptoms as said before, no keyboard, no pings.

Had to try without DPMS activated, because if I leave the box in the
console but with X runnig nothing happens, later I switch back to X and
continue working.

--
Jorge Nerin
<jnerin@svalero.es>