    SubjectRe: sysconf (was Re: RLIM_INFINITY inconsistency between archs)
    On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 05:34:54PM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > I don't think we want to do this! IMO, HZ should not get exported to
    > user space *AT ALL*. Instead, for the few interfaces that need it,
    > we'll export a "user space HZ" (USER_HZ) which is fixed. No need for
    > a kernel hack. When we support nonstandard values for HZ, we need to
    > fix the few interfaces that actually export jiffies values to convert
    > from "user jiffies" to real jiffies.

    I think the point is less HZ as unit (it shouldn't be a user visible one),
    but some programs want to know the timer tick to adapt themselves to it; e.g.
    to calibrate their timers. Of course it is only an approximation because
    timer events can always be late in a multitasking environment, but it
    usually should work out.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.018 / U:7.340 seconds]