SubjectRe: Printing the messages through printk while using Xwindows.
On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Russell King wrote:
> Agreed.
>
> However, the success of it depends what he's debugging. If its a module
> which runs solely with the current processes context, then yes, it'd work.
> Anything more complex, and it won't.
>
> Since he said he's debugging a driver, its reasonable to assume that some
> of it doesn't run in the current processes context, and therefore
> using this method to display debug messages is likely to be fragile.

ok, now I completely agree with you. Yes, hence I said "beware - process
context only". So if he tries to use that function in interrupt context
thinking like "it is similar to printk(), isn't it?" he will completely
mess up his system.

Regards,
Tigran

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.894 / U:0.464 seconds]