SubjectRe: RLIM_INFINITY inconsistency between archs

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Khimenko Victor wrote:

> > > Thank God. /usr/local is often shared, quite possibly readonly, and if
> > > distribution packages messed with this, it would be impossible to use
> > > them.
> > >
> > Deabin DOING it. And I have NO complains about such behaviour. Read-only
> > mounts not such a big problem:
> > -- http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch3.html#s3.1.2 --
>
> It's breaks if the directory is shared but still read-write. Bad idea.

Not exactly. Ones who were knowleadgeable enough to create shared
read-write /usr/local will know what to do (mkdir -p WILL NOT overwrite
files, WILL NOT change permissions, etc - and it created directory it can
be as easily removed) with it, ones who have simple configuration (and
it's MAJORITY) will not have headache (unlike manual symlink creation
after each upgrade choice).

"Simple things should be simple, complex things should be possible". You
proposal makes maintaining of simple systems significally harder while
giving only VERY marginal win for complex ones.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.072 / U:0.132 seconds]