SubjectRe: RLIM_INFINITY inconsistency between archs

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Khimenko Victor wrote:
>
> > Yeah, of course. Just FHS closed this way as well. Yes, I (as distribution
> > maker) can make /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/i386-linux symlink to
> > /usr/local/lib/perl but since
> > -- cut --
> > This directory should always be empty after first installing a
> > FHS-compliant system. No exceptions to this rule should be made other
> > than the listed directory stubs.
> > -- cut --
> > I (as distribution maker) can not create /usr/local/lib/perl directory.
> > Thus perl's make install will mysteriously fail while trying to install
> > stuff.
>
> Thank God. /usr/local is often shared, quite possibly readonly, and if
> distribution packages messed with this, it would be impossible to use
> them.

Deabin DOING it. And I have NO complains about such behaviour. Read-only
mounts not such a big problem:
-- http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch3.html#s3.1.2 --
[skipped]
Since /usr/local may be mounted read-only from a remote server, these
directories have to be created and removed by the postinst and prerm
maintainer scripts. These scripts must not fail if either of these
operations fail. (In the future, it will be possible to tell dpkg not
to unpack files matching certain patterns, so that the directories can
be included in the .deb packages and system administrators who do not
wish these directories in /usr/local do not need to have them.)

For example, the emacs package will contain
mkdir -p /usr/local/lib/emacs/site-lisp || true

in the postinst script, and
rmdir /usr/local/lib/emacs/site-lisp && \
rmdir /usr/local/lib/emacs || \
true

in the prerm script.

If you do create a directory in /usr/local for local additions to a
package, you must ensure that settings in /usr/local take precedence
over the equivalents in /usr.

However, because '/usr/local' and its contents are for exclusive use
of the local administrator, a package must not rely on the presence or
absence of files or directories in '/usr/local' for normal operation.
-- cut --
It looks like MUCH better compromise then "do not play games with
/usr/local and let sysadmin make symlinks again and again (after each
upgrade)".

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:0.102 / U:0.220 seconds]