SubjectRe: 2.4 status page, lightly updated

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000 tytso@mit.edu wrote:

> Fix module remove race bug (mostly done - Al Viro)

Already done: everything that exports file_operations, fb stuff, procfs
stuff. Not yet: TTY, ldisc, I2C, video_device. Hell knows: network
devices.

> In Progress
> -----------
> Dcache threading (Al Viro)
Done.

> Devfs races, Sockfs (removing NULL ->i_sb stuf) (Al Viro)

Sockfs - done. Removing bogus checks still isn't. Devfs races... somewhat
went down, but there's still a lot of them.

> Fix further NFS races (Al Viro)

Sounds ominously... All of them?

> Audit all char and block drivers to ensure they are safe with the 2.3
> locking - a lot of them are not especially on the open() path.

What about the open() path? They have (or grab) BKL there, so it should
not be something special. Now, read() and write()...

> Stick lock_kernel() calls around driver with issues to hard to fix nicely
> for 2.4 itself

???

> Mount of new fs over existing mounted filesystem should return an error
> unless forced (Andrew McNabb, Alan Cox)

Over existing mountpoint. One always could mount over non-empty directory,
even if some of its children were mountpoints. Anyway, that stuff will be
done - see exchange with AEB.

> rw semaphores on inodes to fix read/truncate races ? [Probably fixed]
read/truncate is OK in data part, for metadata rw semaphore looks like a
massive overkill.

> File locking needs checking for races
? Which locking? flock() or VFS one?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:57    [W:2.449 / U:0.004 seconds]