SubjectRe: RLIM_INFINITY inconsistency between archs
"Theodore Y. Ts'o" wrote:

> From: torvalds@transmeta.com (Linus Torvalds)
> Date: 27 Jul 2000 00:39:51 -0700
>
> I would suggest that people who compile new kernels should:
>
> - NOT do so in /usr/src. Leave whatever kernel (probably only the
> header files) that the distribution came with there, but don't touch
> it.
>
> - compile the kernel in their own home directory, as their very own
> selves. No need to be root to compile the kernel. You need to be root
> to _install_ the kernel, but that's different.
>
> - not have a single symbolic link in sight (except the one that the
> kernel build itself sets up, namely the "linux/include/asm" symlink
> that is only used for the internal kernel compile itself)
>
> May I suggest one slight change to this list? /usr/src/linux should be
> a symlink to the header files of whatever kernel is being booted by
> default. So you can compile your own kernel in your own home directory,
> but when you install your own kernel as the default boot kernel,
> /usr/src/linux should point to the header files of that kernel. As you
> say, it requres root to _install_ your own kernel, and that point, you
> can point /usr/src/linux at the appropriate place.
>
> This allows source packages which generate kernel modules which have to
> link against the current kernel ---- such as the external pcmcia driver,
> hich you've recommended that distro's use since 2.4's pcmcia support
> isn't quite up to snuff yet ---- be able to reliably find (or at least
> present the user with a sensible default) the header files of the kernel
> which is being installed as the default boot kernel.
>
> And this is actually what has been the suggested environment for at
> least the last five years. I don't know why the symlink business keeps
> on living on, like a bad zombie. Pretty much every distribution still
> has that broken symlink, and people still remember that the linux
> sources should go into "/usr/src/linux" even though that hasn't been
> true in a _loong_ time.

This is insanity. When I get a new kernel, I drop it straight into
/usr/src/linux. Compile away. I understand you're saying that this could
break some programs because because of changes in include file, but
thats what opensource is for. You notice something breaks, you patch it.
Try the fix on a machine still running an old kernel. Does it work? If
it compiles on both systems, submit the fix. Move on. Telling people to
change the way they've ALWAYS compiled kernels is not the answer.
Caution is good. People should have enough sense to back up old source
(unless you have your own personal T1 and its not a problem to download
a new kernel), but don't put safeguards that change 3 year old unix
standards into the system. Maybe I'm out of line and missed the point of
the conversation here. Pardon me if I am. If I'm not out of line, then
you know how I feel about the situation:).

--
Drew Sanford
Systems Administrator